Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Night Thoughts: Rereading Le Guin's The Language of the Night - James Enge

"I recently reread Le Guin’s Language of the Night, and for a while I thought it might be a mistake. The book is a hodge-podge: printed versions of short speeches, introductions to her earlier Hainish novels, full essays with footnotes to provide that added kick, and a light frosting (in the edition I was using to reread) of Le Guin’s own second thoughts (mostly about issues of gender). Even back in my 20s I didn’t think all this stuff was equally valuable, and on my recent reread I was finding that a lot of what I had once taken as axiomatic was now useless to me."


3.5 out of 5

http://www.blackgate.com/2009/02/11/night-thoughts-rereading-le-guins-the-language-of-the-night/

No comments:

Post a Comment