Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Blish Is Back: James Blish's The Warriors of Day - James Enge

"I thought I was done with this series of posts on planetary romance, a.k.a. sword-and planet, at least until the new edition of Kline’s Outlaws of Mars comes out. But then I came across a reference to James Blish’s Sword of Xota (a.k.a. The Warriors of Day). I had a hard time believing it was for real. Blish, the hardnosed “‘Sour Bill’ Atheling”, the apostle of modernism in literature and Spenglerism in history, the author of the quadruply ambitious trilogy After Such Knowledge (a four-book trilogy–ambition has no higher scope–no, I don’t believe in your five-book trilogy–sheesh, will this parenthesis never end?)–that Blish was the author of a planetary romance?"


4 out of 5

http://www.blackgate.com/2009/02/25/the-blish-is-back-james-blishs-the-warriors-of-day/#more-1394

No comments:

Post a Comment